Book Your European Summer Vacation Now!
Europe is one of the most popular places to visit during summer and for good reason. There are so many things to see and do. There’s pleasant weather and positive energy in the air. Simply put, Europe is just magical in the summer.
But did you know that it’s best to book your flights at least three to four months in advance to get the best price? That means start booking those flights now!
February is the perfect time to find great deals to Europe.
To get the best deals on flights, here are 3 things to keep in mind:
- The best time to purchase an airline ticket is Tuesday at 3 p.m. (Eastern Time USA), when discounted flights are released on travel booking sites and are typically listed through Wednesday night. The airline companies are also trying to compete with the travel booking sites, so don’t forget to look on their websites directly for their deals without the added commission fees that the booking sites charge.
- Look for red eye flights or flights that leave first thing in the morning as those are the most cost-efficient and least packed times to fly. In choosing such flights, sometimes you’ll be lucky enough to score an empty seat next to you, so that you can stretch out.
- Search for flights that depart on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays because those are the cheapest days to fly. Also, keep in mind that flights on Fridays and Sundays will impact your pocket book the most.
The best times to travel to Europe are the end of May, June, July and September, avoiding August altogether. Most of the European population takes their vacation during August and therefore many places will be open fewer hours and days during that month.
If you are visiting multiple European destinations on your trip, choose an international flight that flies into and out of the cheapest airports at the time of your arrival and departure dates. Then structure your vacation itinerary around those destinations, if possible.
What about booking flights from one European destination to another? Well, those don’t have to be booked as far in advance, but typically should be booked sooner, rather than later because the cheaper seats tend to sell out fast.
Now, you might be asking, “Isn’t it more cost efficient to take trains and buses once you’re in Europe?” Well not necessarily. You might be surprised that flying to your next destination in Europe is cheaper, not to mention faster. Many flights are priced between $50-230 for flights within Europe. Some even dip as low as $25 per flight.
Lastly, try to book your overnight accommodations around the same time as your international flights, especially if you want to stay in a popular hotel at a good price.
To score the best price for European hotels, try the following:
- Comparison shop for a couple of days by using websites that compare hotel prices from multiple different booking sites. It’s best to browse by opening a window in incognito mode each time you search for hotels, so that way websites don’t see what you’re searching for based on your browsers cookies and adjust the price on you. Then, book when you feel you’ve found the best price.
- If you notice rates fluctuating too much online, you can always try calling or emailing the hotel directly. Mention the rates you’ve found for your dates and inquire if the hotel can offer a better price directly. Many times they will gladly do so to avoid having to pay a booking service website a commission for that room to be occupied. Smaller hotels are typically more open to offering a discount, whereas, larger hotels will sometimes offer you free breakfasts and room upgrades. Either way it never hurts to ask. Skipping the middleman might be a better strategy and pay off for both parties.
- If staying at a smaller hotel, call or email them to ask if a discount may be offered if you pay in cash. This saves them on credit card company fees and makes offering a discount worthwhile.
Booking your flights and hotels now, will ensure you travel when and where you want in Europe and at the best possible value. All the rest of the plans can be made as you get closer to your departure date.
So what are you waiting for? Go book your fabulous European summer vacation and make your travel dreams a reality!
For more travel tips, download my e-guide “Travel Tips for the Efficient Jet Setter” https://designyourdestinati